Notes for the upcoming sermon usually become AVAILABLE on Thursdays.
Show Me Your Glory: God's Love is Loyal
EXODUS 34:6-7 | CHRIS WINANS | JANUARY 24, 2021
GOD’S LOYAL LOVE
Read Psalm 36:5-7.
- How do these verses describe the loyal love of God?
- How do you experience this kind of love from God?
Read Psalm 103:6-18.
- How is forgiveness related to God’s loyal love?
- Why do you think God’s loyal love is given to those who fear him?
- Verse 18 refers to God’s covenant with the people. Why should we remember the covenant terms when praising God for His loyal love?
JESUS’ LOYAL LOVE
Read John 17:1-5.
- What is the focus of Jesus’ prayer?
- How does he glorify the Father?
- How is this prayer a description of Jesus’ loyal love to the Father and to those who are given eternal life?
- Read Ephesians 2:1-5.
- What are the benefits we receive because of Christ’s work?
- How is this a demonstration of God’s mercy and love?
Bible Scholar Tim Mackie says, “It’s the kind of love that someone demonstrates when they’re keeping a promise, and when their desire to be loyal to their promise motivates them to go above and beyond and be super generous, more than what you would expect—that’s KHESED (LOYAL LOVE).”
- How is Jesus the fulfillment of God’s loyal love?
OUR LOYAL LOVE
- Read 2 Samuel 9:1-7.
- David wants to honor his covenant with his friend Jonathan who is no longer alive. How does he choose to do so?
- What kind of relationships do you have that are worthy of this kind of love?
- Read John 21:15-19.
- Before Jesus was crucified Peter denied knowing Him three times. What is Jesus doing for Peter here?
- Why do you think He is asking Peter if he loves Him?
- What kind of love do you think Jesus is calling Peter to? (Note: there is no Greek word equivalent to khesed.)
- Have you pledged your loyal love to God in response to His loyal love given to you in Christ?
- Do you think that is what it means to accept the grace offered to us in Christ?
Read Mark 8:34-37.
- What is Jesus calling his disciples to do in this passage?
- Do you think loyal love is needed to follow Jesus in this way?
- How do you consider this commitment as you daily follow Jesus?