The Discussion & Leader's Guides for the most recent sermon are typically available Tuesday afternoon.
Digital Discussion Guide
We Are Series
EPHESIANS 2:11-22 | CHRIS WINANS | JULY 18, 2021
WE ARE GOD'S PEOPLE
- The Bible (pick the best answer).
- Old Testament was written to ethnic Israel.
- Contains some things for Christians, some things for the Jewish people.
- Says the New Covenant replaces Israel with the Church.
- Is written to God’s people, all of it.
- The apocryphal book 2 Esdras (2:10-11) says:
- God is going to give ______________________ to the Church.
- True or False: Pastor Winans is advocating for the above view.
- Read Ephesians 2:11-22. How does the replacement view (The Church replaces Israel as the people of God) diminish what Jesus has accomplished for Israel?
- The separated view believes some sections of the Bible are written only to the ______________ and others are only written to the nation of _______________.
- True or False: The Separated View takes the Bible the most literally.
- The Separated View believes the following (pick the one that is false).
- We are in the Church Age.
- There is no difference between a Jew and a Gentile in how a person becomes a child
- The age of the church is also known as the great parenthesis.
- The Bible is written to two distinct peoples. The nation of Israel and the Church.
- Read Ephesians 2:11-22. How does the Separated View (The Church and Israel are distinct peoples of God) diminish what Jesus has accomplished for the Church?
- Dr. J Ligon Duncan III expresses the following Fulfillment View:
- The promises of God are ________________ in the Gentiles.
- God ____________ the Gentiles into the people of God.
- Therefore, the Gentiles and Israel are ____________ people.
- Read John 15:5-6 (pick the best one).
- Jesus describes a child of God as one who is a part of the vine.
- Jesus describes a child of God who is born of the nation of Israel.
- Read Romans 9:6 (pick the best one).
- All people who are descended from Israel are not true Israel.
- All people who are descended from Israel are true Israel.
- Read Matthew 3:7-10 (pick the best one).
- Jesus warned the Pharisees and Sadducees that they were not necessarily Abraham’s children.
- Jesus assured the Pharisees and Sadducees that because they were descended from Abraham that they would bear good fruit.
- Read Hebrews 3:16-4:2.
- Of all the people who left Egypt only ____________ and ______________ entered into the Promised Land.
- Entering into the rest of God depends upon _____________.
- Read Galatians 6:14-16.
- Describe what these verses mean.
- How does the Bible describe how a person becomes a new creation?
- If we believe that Replacement or the Separated Views are correct, then the ______________ and __________________God made to Israel cannot be fulfilled by the _____________________.
- Read Acts 15:13-18 and Amos 9:11-12.
- Acts 15:16 quotes the _______________ passage and in verse 17 gives the reason that the ______________ are to be made into _______________ people.
- How does a person know they are a child of God?
- Are you?
- How does this impact the way you approach the Scriptures and apply them to your life?
Apologetics: Why some books/letters are included, and not others?
- How should we view writings like 2 Esdras and early epistles (letters) like the “Epistle of Barnabas” that was mentioned in the sermon, yet not in our bibles?
- Are there others?
- Why are they not part of the Bible?
- “What is the visible church?”